Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Boy of Twelve

Down this road I trudge with not a care I can call mine.
with pennies in my pocket and friends by my side.
just like yesterday and as I will tomorrow
Same road, same people
same shit , a diferent day.

I see him some distance away.
with his tattered shirts and soiled face.
A young back of 12 already bent by life.
hands astretch and askance in tow.

Vctim number one waves him away
"Go away and leave me in peace.
This world is mean to me and I have worries I call mine.
Bother me not beggar. life's a bitch . Deal with it"

Vctim number two throws up his gold laden hands
"Ahh brother , if only I had money .
I would be king and you my vassal
Alas, penury is my unwelcome guest,
he comes and he never leaves. such is life."

Victim number three stops by in his wagon and waves a finger in his face
"A lazy bum , you are.
Work you will not and sweat u abhor
This penny you ask for i can not give
For this i have earned by being my father's son."

Victim number four saunters by, comforted in his complete knowledge of this world and all of life
" Tell me the truth boy , for I already know
you do not need this penny you ask for.
The sun burns above but perhaps you do not feel the heat.
I hear your stomach rumbling but I know that you do not feel hunger
I see you wear rags which are in tatters but I see the robes that hang in your home.
I think you try to cheat me as you do all others.
but I know all so I wont be cheated.
Go away boy, try your luck elsewhere."

Victim number five stops with his coterie a few feet away.
Disgust written large on his face and repugnance written in his soul.
He opens his purse strings brings out a coin.
He waves it in the sky , canting to god.
"This coin I give towards the cause of the gates.
Add this to my account and tell St.Peter to keep them open when I come."
He throws it on the road and walks away with his sight firmly set on the road ahead.

I see that young boy some distnace away
with a question in his eyes and bowl for his hand
and I wonder.
I wonder , who shall I be today?

7 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger Anand Sivakumar said...

If only Ayn Rand was around :)

Very nicely done....keep the quill runnin..

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger dor said...

hey dis one was waaahaay better dan ur usual poems.. i gotta admit im impressed..lol watever elz work has done for ya it has certainly made a poet outta ya

 
At 1:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gud one!!

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nicely done...

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger KK said...

Thanks for the neat comment you left on my blog. Did you write this poem yourself? Real professional..

 
At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Interesting Indeed!! Well Done Ajay!! Nice Nice!!!

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger maverick said...

Quite a revelation bud...
But why potray just the hypocrites, the self-righteous, the losers and the bastards... Isn't there even one who wud hold out a coin with a smile on his face?
Hold on to hope man...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home